Are you a first timer attending Dragon Con all alone? Do want an experienced Eternal Member to guide you at Dragon Con? A Newbie Mentor is available. You don’t have to be a first timer, anyone looking for a guide is welcome. Disclaimer: This is not an official service provided by Dragon Con. This is an unofficial, fan-run option which has no connection to Dragon Con.
UNOFFICIAL PRE-CON WEDNESDAY NIGHT EVENT
Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1 at 11:00 p.m. Time subject to change, follow the Facebook event for live updates.
Join us for the third annual free photo op with the classic Marriott Carpet and Trashy, Dragon Con’s most famous trash can! Trashy will be sitting on some old, familiar Marriott carpet that will once again suddenly appear out of thin air. It is kinda like when the ghost of Christmas past magically reappears. This event is fan-run and is not connected with Dragon Con.
Disclaimer: This is not an official Dragon Con event. This is an unofficial, fan-run option which has no connection to Dragon Con.
Some unofficial fan meetups begin on Wednesday. Thursday used to be the unofficial fan meetup day but that has changed. Dragon Con used to start on Friday but beginning in 2017, Thursday became the first official day of the convention.
JOIN THE PARADE
Learn all about the incredible Saturday morning parade at Dragon Con!
Update June 2018: The parade filled up in February but spaces are still available for these two parade groups! Sign up SOON if you are interested. As required by parade rules, unclaimed spaces will be turned back into the parade so they can let people in from their very long waiting list.
DRAGON CON ETERNAL MEMBERS
What is the Dragon Con Eternal Members fan group?
Welcome to www.DragonConEternalMembers.com. We are a fan group of Eternal Members and friends who love Dragon Con. This website and fan group is not affiliated with www.DragonCon.org. We cannot answer questions on their behalf. If you have any questions for Dragon Con staff, please ask them directly at their official website http://dragoncon.org/?q=contact-us.
Our Facebook fan group is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConEternalMembers. We can also be reached at http://dragonconforums.org/eternal-members and through the Contact page. All of these resources are fan-run and not affiliated with DragonCon.org. Everyone is welcome, you don’t have to be a Dragon Con Eternal Member to join us. We welcome people who are not Eternal Members yet but who wish to learn more about it.
Are you thinking of buying an Eternal Membership?
Keep reading this entire page, then read the FAQ to get the perspective of a longtime Eternal Member.
2018 ETERNAL MEMBERS FAN MEETUPS
Join us for our unofficial, fan-run meetups. These fan meetups are run by the Eternal Members fan group. They are not programming by Dragon Con and will therefore not be included any of Dragon Con’s publications or schedules including the printed Pocket Program and the Dragon Con app. Please add them to your calendar or organizational system. The official Dragon Con app comes out a few days before the event and allows you to add custom events to your schedule.
Look for our flyer in the Eternals badge pickup room. Due to printing deadlines and space limitations, the flyer may not include all meetups.
Are you thinking of buying an Eternal Membership but you’d like to meet some Eternals first? We welcome everyone. You do not have to be an Eternal Member to attend our fan-run meetups.
Everyone is are encouraged to follow the events at https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConEternalMembers/events to stay up to date on the latest news regarding time and location. Longtime attendees know that nothing on the schedule is set in stone until AFTER it has already happened!
Wednesday, Aug 29, 2018. Dinner from 7:00 – 10:00 p.m, drinks served until midnight.
Welcome Back Wednesday dinner for Eternals and Friends
Sheraton Fandangles Restaurant.
Saturday, Sept 1, 2018 at 8:00 a.m.
Saturday morning Eternal Members and Friends parade group – sign up with this Google Form.
Monday, Sept 3, 2018 from 9:00 – 11:00 p.m.
Monday night Eternals Hot Tub party, then Leftovers after party
Tuesday, September 4, 2018 at 1:00 p.m
Tuesday Shawarma Lunch
WHAT IS DRAGON CON? WHAT ARE ETERNAL MEMBERS?
Dragon Con is the world’s best science fiction and pop culture convention. It takes place every in Atlanta, GA every year in September over labor day weekend. Eternal Members are people who have bought a lifetime membership to this event.
Talk to Dragon Con Eternal Members at https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConEternalMembers or http://dragonconforums.org/eternal-members. Everyone is welcome, you don’t have to be a Dragon Con Eternal Member to join any of our online groups or participate in our fan meetups. We welcome anyone who wishes to learn more about the Eternal Membership.
BENEFITS OF A DRAGON CON ETERNAL MEMBERSHIP
- Buy an Eternal Membership from the Dragon Con store or at the convention where you buy the regular badges.
- This is a direct quote from the Dragon Con online store in July of 2016 “Eternal Memberships are currently $2500. This membership grants you access to every Dragon Con from now until it no longer exists. Membership Badges are picked up in VIP Badge Pickup. Eternal members have a party on Thursday night before the show in the Guest Hospitality suite.”
- If Dragon Con ever caps registrations, you are grandfathered in. You will always have a membership/badge/ticket to Dragon Con. So if getting into Dragon Con ever becomes as hard as getting a ticket to San Diego Comic Con or getting a room at a Dragon Con host hotel then you won’t have to worry. You’ll always be able to get in. This has been confirmed by the Dragon Con office. To be clear, this capping overall registrations idea is just a fan rumor and no one official at Dragon Con has confirmed it will ever happen. However, Dragon Con has been growing every year so the idea is reasonable. There are conventions that have grown so large that their tickets now sell out online.
- Separate registration line for Eternal Members is in the Marriott. Sometimes there are freebies in the registration room. This is not guaranteed and quality and availability varies from year to year.
- Cool peach stripe with “ETERNAL” lettering on it comes printed on your badge. The stripe color is subject to change every year with no advance notice.
- See our FAQ for info on how to buy an Eternal Membership and some tips and tricks associated with that.
THURSDAY NIGHT PARTY
- This party is the only official event by Dragon Con for Eternal Members. Badges are checked at the door.
- The party is from 8:00 PM to midnight and is for Eternal Members and celebrity guests only. You never know who you’ll meet! Past celebrity guests have included Aaron Douglas, Virginia Hey, Garrett Wang, Paul McGillion, Gordon Michael Woolvett, Timothy Zahn, Tom Merritt, Veronica Belmont, Joey Fatone and more. I’ve seen people chatting with a celebrity and they didn’t even realize it until someone told them afterwards! Dragon Con has over 400 guests – you can’t know everyone!
- Due to Georgia State Alcohol laws, the party is 21 and up only. IDs are checked at the door. There is an open bar and free food. This is generally lighter fare and not a full sit-down dinner.
- For the comfort of the celebrities, no photography or recording of any kind is permitted.
- The party location is printed on the Eternal Member postcard you will get in the mail. The postcard color for regular members is always blue. The postcard for Eternal Members is always a different color than for regular members. The postcard color for Eternals for 2019 is orange.
In 2016 for the first time ever Eternal Members were able to donate to Dragon Con’s official charity in the Eternal Members badge pick up room. We hope there will be a charity fundraising jar in there every year. Only cash will be accepted – no credit cards, bitcoin, or gold-pressed latinum.
My Dragon Con nickname is Eternal Zan (rhymes with “fan”). I’ve been a Dragon Con attendee since 2003 and an Eternal Member since 2005. I’m also a Dragon Con volunteer, fan panelist, and award winning costumer/ cosplayer.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConEternalMembers – Founder. This unofficial fan group welcomes all current and potential Eternal Members who want to chat with longtime Eternals.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConRoomsGroup – Admin. This unofficial fan group helps people find hotel rooms and roommates.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/DragonConVolunteers – Founder. This unofficial fan group is for past, present, and potential future volunteers.
- Dragon Con Khan Report podcast, regular contributor covering how to get a hotel room and more. This is a monthly podcast that runs from January until September every year.
- 50 Days of Dragon Con podcast by The Unique Geek is a yearly podcast. They start in July and count down the final 50 days until Dragon Con in September. They release a new episode nearly every day until Dragon Con. I love to be interviewed by them every year!
- 2018: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/2018/07/12/50-days-of-dragon-con-day-3-zan-of-the-eternals As tradition dictates, Eternal Zan joins us to discuss the ins and outs of hotel room management, room sharing, Eternal memberships, and old carpet fandom.
- 2017: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragon-con-2017-day-4-zan-and-the-land-of-1000-rooms
- 2016: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragon-con-2016-day-6-zan-and-the-eternal-hotel
- 2015: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragon-con-2015-day-2-zan
- 2014: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragon-con-day-6-zan-eternal-mentor
- 2013: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragoncon-2013-day-17
- 2012: http://www.theuniquegeek.com/50-days-of-dragoncon-2012-day-41
- Dragon Con Newbies Tour Guide 2014-2017, tour attendee 2012-2013. An unofficial tour was started in 2012 and was added to the official schedule in 2014.
Disclaimers: This is an unofficial, fan-run website. I have made every effort to ensure all information is correct. Any mistakes are solely mine. If you spot any inaccuracies, please Contact me. I cannot answer any questions on behalf of Dragon Con. If you have any questions for Dragon Con staff, please ask them directly at their official website http://dragoncon.org/?q=contact-us.